Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Onto Rhodes...

Day 12 - March 9
Where was I - Hereklion (Island of Crete ) & Rhodos (Island of Rhodes)
Lesson Learned - With the help of gravel, I may have a chance to become a sea person again :)

The ferry was scheduled to leave at 5:40 a.m. this morning. Everyone that knows me, knows that I hate waking up in the morning. But I managed to wake up early and on time. I got up excited for some clean clothes... unfortunately I didn't take into account for the humidity of the Aegean sea, my clothes weren't dry. Oh well I packed them into some zip-lock bags in hopes of finding a laundry mat in Rhodos once I got  there. But this meant I had to put on some wet socks.
 
All packed and ready to go I walked over to the Port to catch my ferry. My fingers were crossed because if this ferry was canceled today the next ferry out wouldn't be until Saturday. Luckily the coast police told me that it was leaving just going to be leaving late at around 7a.m....
 
The eleven-hour ferry was pretty uneventful. I pretty much put myself in a Gravel induced sleep and I didn't get sea sick. Once we got to Rhodos it was dark so three of us, Scott, Christine and I were in search of the hostel in the old-city. Turns out it was closed. So then we went in search of hotels. After some shady shops we finding found a little Pension house ran by a little old lady who would rent us two rooms for $40 euros a night. Seeing how our ferry for Marmaris, Turkey leaves on Thursday (March 10) this was perfect... there's always good at the end of the road...

3 comments:

  1. Wait? Who are these people you are with? Friends met along the way or friends from home joining you in your travels? Hope you are having a fabulous time...and that you find the laundromat and can have dry socks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are a Canadian couple I met on the boat from Santorini to Crete. We had the same hostel booked on Crete and we traveled to Rhodes at the same time because the next ferry was in four days. Thank goodness they were here though because it was an adventure to find a place to stay.

    I think we are parting ways tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's sad!

    Now I'm interested in how their adventure turns out as well!

    ReplyDelete