Monday, March 15, 2010

Day in Sofia with new made friends

Day 18 - March 15
Where was I - Sofia (Bulgaria)
Lesson Learned - A calm day can be a nice day.

We got in a little late to Sofia today because we had about a 2hr wait at the Turkish/Bulgarian border. Apparently they decided to go through the bus (something they don't usually do). We all had to open our bags for the border police to ensure that we weren't bringing anything in that we weren't suppose to?

By the time we got to Sofia my new made friend rushed off to class as I slowly walked my way to find the hostel. After finding my hostel I explored the city by foot, took pictures. And looked like a tourist.

Now I know I've mentioned in a previous post that it was cold in Istanbul. It's colder here in Sofia. In fact there is snow on the ground. So almost broke down and bought a pair of jeans (thinking that they are a lot thinker then the summer pants I have on hand). But I've decided against it. All I've been able to find are skinny jeans. Not that I have anything against skinny jeans but that would just mean a whole wardrobe change (like the need of buying high boots). So I'll just have to deal with it until I get home I guess.

But I've decided that my next backpacking journey will include a pair of jeans. I don't care what all the guidebooks and websites say. I miss my jeans.

Later in the afternoon I received a call and I had my own private local tour guides who took me around the city and out for dinner. It was indeed a wonderful night.

Tomorrow I'm off to Plovdiv (Bulgaria). I'm going to stay at the Hikers Backpackers Hostel recommended to me by my Spanish roommate in Istanbul.




No comments:

Post a Comment