Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Rhodes, a walk through history.

Day 13 - March 10
Where was I -  Rhodos (Island of Rhodes)
Lesson Learned - The Unexpected can be beautiful

Today, I did a lot of walking around the old medieval city of Rhodes. It's simply incredible. I visited the castle of the Knights, walked around the city in a Moat, visited the gates of St.Paul, ect.... Simply put with one word, "WOW".  It felt like a walk through the past.

Of course, throughout my  walks I found a laundromat! Finally! I was so excited. It was a little pricey as they didn't have the "do-your-own-wash" kind. It cost 5-euros for the wash and dry of my one load of laundry but I don't think I've ever been so excited to have clean clothes. My vast amount of underwear and socks back home seems like a luxury.

I'm on day 13 and I think I've visited 7 islands (Syros, Tinos, Naxos, Mykonos, Santorini, Crete and Rhodes). I never really planned on coming to Rhodes but as it's winter time here and the ferries don't operate as frequent as in the summer so Rhodes was my way to mainland. My ferry for Marmaris (Turkey) leaves tomorrow at 14h00.

Once in Turkey, I begin my journey back to Athens on land as my flight leaves Mar 21 back home. This means I leave the ferry trips and turn them in for buses and trains. After a night in Marmaris I plan to go to Istanbul for a night or two, thereafter, onwards to either Thessaloniki or maybe a night in a city in Bulgaria. We shall see...

1 comment:

  1. You should have seen Jake light up when I showed him your blog. Great to read your doing good. Gotta love the "wow" days hey.

    ws

    ReplyDelete