Friday, March 5, 2010

Viva Greece

Day 5 - March 2
Where was I? -  Island Mykonos / Island of Syros / Island of Naxos
Lesson Learned - Learn how to read strike in Greek. This could be handy when taxis decide to go on strike.

It was a calm and relaxing day. We got up early to catch the ferry to Mylos, to which the sign said left at 8:30a.m. Well the sign also failed to mention the days that it didn't leave. It turned out the next ferry wasn't going to be until Friday. So dissapointed, we booked our ferry to Naxos which didn't leave until 2:30 via Syros. It was mostly a day of sipping coffee by the port, writting and people watching.

When it was about time to catch our ferry we took our time getting ready and went to the taxi stand. We stood around the first one for awhile. Since it was taking a long time, we figured we'd go walk by the taxi stand by the port (2min walk). We stood there for awhile until a man and a woman stopped their car to let us know that the taxis were on strike. By this time, we maybe had 15 mins before our ferry left.

With Greek hospitality, the couple told us that they would drive us to the port. Now to imagine this, think of a a tiny car. Something like a two door hatchback Yaris. A tall greek man driving and there's a car seat in the back. Now the truck only fits one of our backpack so the lady in the front seat took the other one in her lap. I only wish we had the chance to take a photo of this experience...

It's funny, time and time again the people here do restore my faith back in people.

Needless to say, we caught the ferry on time.

---

Day 6 - March 3
Where was I? -  Island of Naxos & Island of Santorini
Lesson Learned - When traveling with someone, it may be a good thing to discuss sock-on-door. (don't ask).

Today was my  birthday. I know it may sound weird but I hardly remembered until I got on the ferry to head to Santorini and sat in a chair number 183. Nothing like remembering my age and the fact that I was born in 1983.

On the ferry,we met a group of American girls that are studying in Paris. As they were staying in a hostel we decided to spend the night in the same hostel (Villa Manos). We went for drinks and dinner then came back and we all drank wine under the moonlight by a half filled mucky pool (the ocean is warmer then a pool at this time of year).

---

Day 7 - March 4
Where was I? -  Island Santorini
Lesson Learned - Thank goodness I brought my own roll of toilette paper & sheet.

Woke up at 7:30, went to the market to buy some fruit for breakfast then went back to bed to wake up at 11:30. We went to town for breakfast then walked down the mountain to the old port. Where we knew we could ride a donkey  back up the mountain. The view on the side of the zig-zag patch... simply breathtaking.


After our decided to follow the advice of locals and head to Oia (another town on the island), where the sunset view is breathtaking. Like a lot of little towns on the islands, the town was pretty much a ghost town. But the locals were right about the sunset... even though most of it was blocked by clouds the rays of sun that peaked through was amazing.

Since Math wanted a hostel in town compared to the distance of the hostel we were in the night before...we started to look for a new room. Now because it was dusk, most of the houses were closed. This led us to renting probably one of the worst rooms that we've rented thus far.

i think someone still lived in it. Now I'm not a germ-a-phobic... but I made sure I laid the sheet I brought with me over my bed. Math was left to fend for him self with the room sheets. I swear someone was living in the room and just said okay to rent it to make some money. The room looked like it was filled with personal effects. on the night stand there was a book that said 1985. I opened it out of curiosity. It looked like a journal with only the dates January 7, 9, 10, 11 filled out. Of course it was written in Greek, so I didn't understand a single word it said but all night my mind was playing tricks like maybe it was someone had written a death warning or something....

I need a good night sleep... tonight, I think I'm looking for a new room. I dno't care, I will spend an extra 5 euros.


No comments:

Post a Comment