Saturday, March 12, 2011

And the Kenyan Adventure continues

This is the first time I have been able to access the internet since the last I wrote. A lot has happend since then. Sorry it's a short update with many grammar mistakes. I just don't have the time to edit...So much has happend and I wish I could write it all. I've so far people have all been great and everything can only be discribed as beautiful and breathtaking.

We left Nairobi for a four day safari that we organized with Big Time Safari. Our Safari Guide; Tom, took us to our first stop in Lake Nakuru where we saw flamingos, zebras, gazelles and we even got to see a Rhino chilling with a herd of waterbuffallo. I called him UNO.

It was truely amazing. We spent the night in a hotel in the town Nakuru. After our visit in Nakuru we picked up an American group of two (Greg & Denise) to head towards Maaisa Mara to spend three days. The camp we stayed in was almost a spitting image of something you would imagine from Gilligan Island. Each day we spent some time in the park and each day the scenerary surprised me. I can only hope that my pictures can capture some of the majestic beauty.

We had a pretty successful safari. The animals we saw were diverse: cheetahs, lions, elephants, giraffes, crocodiles, hippos, zebras, gazelles and all kinds of birds.Greg and Denise were also fabulous and the last day had us a little sad to say our good byes, but alas they had some Gorilla trecking to do and we had a bus to catch to Mombosa.


The bus ride to Mombosa was intense. Neither of us had thought to ask not to be sat at the back... and alas those were the seats we were assigned. Fortunately I got some sleep on the way there. Apparently the anti-malaria medication I'm taking is messing with my sleep and giving me odd dreams (those are a bunch of stories for another day).

The moments that i wasn't sleeping on my way to Mombassa I looked at the stars backdrop the shadows of what I saw to be beautiful trees. The skies were clear and reminded me of the stars back home when I lived in northern ontario. As we approached the coast the humidity became evident in the air and that's when I realised that I wouldn't need my sweater i had laying across my lap.

We arrived in Mombassa at around 5 a.m. The smells, sights and buildings were much different then that of Nairobi. It was almost like spice was alive in the air. We got into a three-wheeled trike like taxi and started heading towards our hostel. I couldn't help but think at some point sitting in this taxi that I was probably playign with my life a little but I couldn't help enjoy myself and the breeze against my face.

The sun was rissing and we literally watched the streets become alive with people and traffic. After a few failled attempts, our taxi finally brought us to where we  needed to be. The hostel didn't quite meet expectation but that didnt stop from the taking a shower and falling asleep for a few hours of exhaustion.

After waking up we began a trek to the old town to visit Fort Jesus. We hired a guide (which we probably over paid but I suck at haggling solo) he gave us a great tour and it actually made me feel safer to be following him and he went into detail of everything so it was a good buy. This was the night we decided to splurge on dinner, but the restaurant had a beautiful view.

And that brings to today. We left the over dirty hostel/frat boy house and jumped on a Matutu and came to Malindi. We have two nights booked here. We still aren't sure what we are going to do yet but I look forward to some R & R on the beach....

In the next couple of days we will begin our venture over to Tanzania. We are hoping to be able to get  a cheap flight... fingers crossed...

No comments:

Post a Comment