Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Saying a goodbye to Africa...

Taking a ferry into Dar Es Salaam was the perfect way to enter the last night in Africa. There's something about coming into a town via the Port that always seems magical to me. As the land slowly begins to form and get bigger in the horizon so does the activity. It's like watching the land come alive.

I didn't get much sleep on mainland. I laid in darkness for awhile hoping that I will come back soon to Africa. I can only hope to one day dig my bare toes into the dirt and wisper a hello into the warm wind once again.

The plane took us from Dar into Nairobi for a six hour layover. The waiting game began.

There I sat next to a lady in the gate that I think many began to hate. But even though I didn't introduce myself I believe I adore her. She was middle-aged woman and she had a very large purse.

I have no idea what she was saying but she was on the phone most of the time. For pretty much most of the time she was not just talking, but yelling. She didn't seem mad as she had a smile most of the time and a very hardy laugh. Everytime she'd hang up the phone it's like she'd start to twitch with boredom and push random numbers on her phone then she'd pull out a three ring notebook loaded with phone numbers and names.

At first I thought she had three address books but she just kept on taking out notebook and journals that had what looked like endless amounts of names and numbers. Towards the end there were a few people sending her evil glares and she'd try to wisper but it would just get louder and louder with each word and her laugh. Then someone would look back at her again and give her a Tsk and cut eye. She'd take her hand cover her mouth over the mike as if that would make her quiet. I of course sitting next to her and would just smile  to her everytime someone gave her "trouble". It was my way of saying "don't listen to them".

I don't think my wait at the Nairobi airport would have been nearly as entertaining without her. Maybe next time I'll know more Swahili as that way I can converse with someone like her so they don't have to rake up their cell phone bill...

No comments:

Post a Comment